http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typAqPJ-Zn8
-----
Our school has a partner school in Uganda. Last year I signed up for a pen pal that went to that school. I found out his name was Dennis and I wrote him a letter. Today I stayed after school to receive my letter. And oh my God, I was about to break down, his letter was so sweet. He said "Natalie, dear" than explained how much I meant to him, and how blessed he was to have me to write too. He explained to me how he loves football, and math and biology and English. And his favorite foods: rice and meat. And he told me he would be a teacher if he couldn't come to America and become a business man. He told me he was praying for his dreams to come true and how he was praying for me too. He might have only been saying that, but It felt like he really meant it.
I was crushed when I found out he didn't go to school anymore. That means one of two things: he graduated 4 years early (secondary school ends when your 20 or 21 in Uganda; he was 17.) Or he dropped out.
I hope that he only moved, and he's back in school, even if it isn't that school. Because I really want him to live his dream. I know I'll pray for him tonight.
I taped his letter above my bed, so I'll remember him.
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment